Our Trains

Here we share our family adventures in model railroading.    Discussion and photo's range from model building to how we operate trains on model railroads in a prototype manner.    Construction techniques and visits to area layouts will also be featured.    Although we currently have no model railroad layout of our own, we work with several of our friends building models for use on their layouts.   It is our way of thanking them for sharing their model railroads with us.

These are a pair of Tichy Train Group trackside detail kits.   Tichy has, in my estimation at least, by far the best plastic casting in the industry.   All of the parts in their kits are exquisitely detailed and incredibly  delicate.   They also fit precisely.   Very  little, if any flash also.  My only problem with these kits is in working with the extremely small, delicate parts.  That and drilling the #80 holes for the fine phosphor bronze wire used to replicate control rods.   On the jib crane for instance, I threaded the chain at least 20 times before I got it right.  The pulley blocks are composed of three pieces and the winch is five.  I bit of work but beautiful when done.  And as you can see, they're inexpensive too.   Quality products need not cost a fortune.   I'll post more pics when they're painted and installed on my friend Bob Winkler's Central Maryland RR.   I have two more cranes and one more water column to construct for his layout.

A DPM (Design Preservation Miniatures) structure weathered by Dotti.   A Tichy fire  escape has been added and I scratch built the pool table for the interior.   Side walks had yet to be constructed when the photo was taken.  This structure stands just across the intersection from the entrance to the station at Rolee on Bob Winkler's Central Maryland model railroad layout.

Above is a kit bash I did on an inexpensive Atlas turntable.   The Atlas turntable is just a half inch or so too short to comfortably handle the Bachmann 2-8-0 or 2-10 -0.   I raised the deck by building another deck atop the original making it a quarter inch larger all around thereby increasing the diameter by half an inch.   The deck was made of styrene sheet and the gallows structure is  wood.

Unfortunately , the mechanism went south shortly before completion and the turntable was never installed.    Repair will require removing the entire surface structure.

An example of Alex's paint and weathering skills.  The tractor on the right began life as the tractor on the left.   It now looks right at home standing in a farm field.

Below is a photo of a roundhouse I built for my friend Bob Winkler.   

We added an interchange yard to Wink's layout accessible via a track running between the roundhouse and the wall behind the layout.   The difficulty was the corner of the roundhouse was in the way.   The structure had to be modified  and ended up also hiding a switch machine for the three way switch at the throat of the interchange yard.

Me checking something out in the main yard area of a layout I designed for my late friend Paul Rausch.   Here you see what would have been two yards separated by double sided backdrop down the center of the bench work.   This area would have depicted a pair of division point yards at either end of the modeled main line.  In the distance can be seen the double helix that took the two mainlines down to the staging yards which can just be seen below.    I drew it, but Paul Engineered the, one within the other, double track, double helix.

A flea market find.   An out of production model of an early travel trailer, manufacturer unknown.   The deck and steps were scratch built from scale stripwood.   The skirting is Evergreen styrene.   A bit of work with the airbrush and some chalks and it begins to look pretty good.   Total investment, probably under $2.

 

This caboose was built from a Silver Streak kit in the 1970's by my friend Don Florwick.   It has been in service on his current Pittsburgh and South Penn model railroad on the local freights that operate out of Somerset Yard.   Don originally built the caboose as it came, right out of the box.  The stock kit sides were  painted plain orange and were without lettering of any sort.

Don had painted the roof, underside and ends weathered black as those parts were unpainted.   Since the model was now in service on the P&SP, Don wanted it to look the part.   As the yardmaster at Somerset where the caboose was based, I offered t bring it up to date.    Don had done a nice crisp job of assembling the car and I had no desire to attempt dismantling it in order to spray paint it.  I decided to leave the ends walls and cupola weathered black and brush paint the sides box car red to match the other NYC cabooses.   I used Scalecoat II paint and it brushed rather nicely.   One cannot really tell the model was brush painted rather than airbrushed.    Micro Scale provided the NYC logo and an ancient Champ decal set provided the remainder of the lettering.   Some light weathering with airbrush and chalks and the caboose is ready to resume its duties on the local freight out of Somerset Pa on the P&SP.

Dotti and I are available for custom  work in the way of weathering model railroad rolling stock, building structures with character and model railroad layout planning.   Designing model railroads for prototype operation has been a fascination of mine ever since being introduced to the idea by Doug Smith and Frank Ellison through the pages of Model Railroader magazine.   For those interested, I am available for consultation as well as final design.